Monday, July 21, 2014

Pastoral Candidate check-list

If I was on a pulpit committee, what would I look for in my future pastor?  What questions would I ask that might rule out potential candidates?

1.  "Describe your personal devotional life."  I would explore this topic beyond the initial response.  I would be looking for something specific.  If a man doesn't have a significant prayer and study life, he is not qualified to be a pastor.

2.  "Can we pull a credit report on you?"  If a man's financial house is not in order, he is not qualified to be a pastor.

3.  "Tell us the last time you lost your temper and why."  If a man is a hot-head, he is not qualified to be a pastor.

4.  "How many people have you personally led to Jesus Christ?"  This is not about notches on the belt.  If a man is not a soul-winner, he is not qualified to be a pastor.

5.  "Does your family support your ministry and how do they show it?"  If your family isn't solidly behind you, you are not qualified to be a pastor.

Additionally, if his primary concern is money, I wouldn't want him to be my pastor.  If his track-record is one of a dictator, I wouldn't want him to be my pastor.  If he is vague in his responses to test the waters before he gives his true answer, I wouldn't want him to be my pastor.  If his children do not seem well-adjusted, but have been stifled by a father who is more concerned about what people THINK of him than being a loving leader of the home, I wouldn't want him to be my pastor.  If he doesn't have a growth plan or vision for the work, if he is lazy or sloppy in his appearance, if he doesn't demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit... I wouldn't want him to be my pastor.

It is sad, really, how little a church knows about a man before they are forced to decide to call him as pastor. Leaders of churches are so eager to fill the vacancy they often fail to do due diligence.  Go beyond cherry-picked references and flowery resumes.  Take the time to ask the right questions.  Substantiate his claims of achievement.  You may save BOTH OF YOU a lot of heartache.